Welcome!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This evening's Chicken of the Woods. I harvested only the largest ones & left the rest until tomorrow. Weighed this first cut...5# 3oz. This was only an 1/8 of what's left. 

20180805_182337.jpg

20180805_182600.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely.

What's the best way to preserve excess harvest? In the past, I've simply cleaned and frozen them; and although that works okay, they come out a little chewy.

Bruce

I cut them in strips, sautee in real butter, cool, & freeze them. Don't thaw when you want to use them...just toss into a buttered skillet and finish cooking.

This +5# batch went to a friend. 

Two evenings ago, my wife pulled some out of the freezer, part of the 2016 harvest. We needed to either eat it or throw it out. After trimming for freezer burn,  she dipped the resulting strips in milk and rice flour and pan-fried it. Prepared this way, we both agreed that the two-year-old stuff was all but indistinguishable from fresh Laetiporus "fingers" that I'd collected just a few days previously. 

Having rained two days ago, I'm hoping to find more today...with luck, my cauliflower mushrooms will be fruiting again, too.

Bruce

• Like 1

I sauteed 14.5# last night to feeze. Harvested the rest a tad early as storms were forecasted and since these were on an uprooted dirt covered stump, I didn't want them getting too covered in mud.

20180806_191233.jpg

20180808_173000.jpg

This was the best sandwich EVER. Sautee shrooms with garlic, thyme, & pepper. Top with Colby cheese. Stack chicken of the Woods on your bun choice, add lettuce, tomato, thinly sliced onions, & spicy mayo. Total killer veggie sandwich. 

20180808_183726.jpg

Mmmmm. You're making me hungry!

One of my mushroom reference books offers this little repartee' on Laetiporus:

"Does it really taste like chicken?"

"Real chicken doesn't taste this good."

B

• Like 1

Chicken of the Woods with fire roasted red peppers & all the fixins soft tacos. Holy shisters...win.win. win from the Woods. I give this a solid 5 🌟🌟🌟.

20180810_164519.jpg

20180810_165247.jpg

I totally capitulate to your culinary creations.  :)

Bruce

• Like 1

Made the "chicken" Alfredo tonight with garlic bread ... excellent! 7 days of Chicken of the Woods all fixed differently. 14+# in the freezer!

20180811_192346.jpg