Welcome!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
BossHogg

Chantrelles or young Jack o Lanterns

As you can see i am new to summer/ fall mushroom hunting, but i believe these are jack o lantern

20180722_160843.jpg

20180722_160913.jpg

20180722_160854.jpg

Not positive but they look more like young chanterells. Do you have any pics of where they were growing. If not can you describe where they were growing

• Like 1

They are growing under a pair of mature beech trees in a woods with a lot of oaks n shagbark hickory. Kind of a damp woods with little low spots in it.

I hope they are as there is probably a 100 or so those were the biggest the rest just bloomed. I will check back in a couple days n see if the false gills begin to form. I thought maybe they could be false chanterelles also.

One simple test is the flesh.  If thw inside flesh is yellowish orange,  it's a Jack.  If the flesh is white,  it's a chanterelle.  

Mmmmm. A little bit of fresh garlic cooked in butter with a splash of balsamic vinegar,  sauteed over a medium heat until fully cooked. Yum,yum, 

I'm going hunting!!!

Time to go picking after work tomorrow. There has to be a couple  lbs within a 100 yards of my house.  Ill post a pic then.

• Like 1

There ended up being a bunch of real small ones out there so i only picked these 24 n left the rest. 

20180723_190317.jpg

20180723_191138.jpg

I have eaten 3 batches now and tried your method of butter with fresh slices of garlic and sauteed. I then added coconut infused balsamic vinegar which we happen to have and they were dandy.

• Like 1

Definitely young chants. Jack-o-lanterns grow on tree roots.

I was out two days ago collecting and encountered a trail-runner who told me about these huge orange mushrooms that he saw growing on a tree stump. He thought they were the same thing I was collecting, but I suspected Leatiporus. 

I walked the same trail he told me about, wearing my backpack and expecting a big harvest; and was mildly disappointed to encounter a collection of truly huge jack-o-lanterns. They were very impressive and I took a bunch of photos, but took nothing home.

C'est la vie,

Bruce

Bruce I would like to see pictures of your jack o lanterns, if possible.  Thanks

I have no problem identifying a chanterelle but wonder if I've ever seen a jack o lantern.  I always look around beech, very high success rate, more than oak around here anyway.

Would it be either one of these pics? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I would send you photos, but for some reason I can't upload a photo here unless I start a new topic. I am also unable to "like" anyone's posts anymore. For awhile I was unable to post at all!

These problems began as soon as I joined the society. Odd that sending in $30 would cause me to LOSE privileges.

Bruce