Hydrotherapist

Are these poisonous?

9 posts in this topic

We ate these last night. Should we be concerned? Thought they were oysters, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks for any info. 

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2835.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

There are many mushrooms whose edibility has not been established. The pictured mushrooms bear no resemblance to oysters. If they are indeed honey mushrooms, you got lucky.

There are plenty of poisonous mushrooms in Indiana, and some of them are deadly. Please educate yourself and be 100% sure of what you have before eating. No mushroom is so tasty that it's worth risking your life for.

Edited by Bruce
fix typo
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would get a couple good field guides and try to find someone to help you learn. One guide i would get is, Edible Wild Mushrooms of Illinois and surrounding States. If possible find someone close to you and see if they will help you learn some of the good ones.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these honey mushrooms also and are they edible? I have never seen other mushrooms grow in clusters like this so I wanted to verify if there are any "look a likes" that are poisonous.

mushrooms picture.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to tell for sure, but probably not. Honey mushrooms grow on wood, often buried roots in the immediate vicinity of stumps and dying trees. I don't see any trees or stumps here. 

Identifying mushrooms is not as simple as looking at a distant photo. There are some very knowledgeable people here and that helps, but if they make a mistake who suffers the consequences? I recommend that anyone interested in eating wild mushrooms get some books, educate himself, and feel free to post photos and check in here for confirmation.

Never eat ANY mushroom unless YOU know what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mushrooms in the grass above are likely Honeys. They are just growing from buried roots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoosiermushrooms said:

The mushrooms in the grass above are likely Honeys. They are just growing from buried roots.

You may be correct, but I wouldn't bet my life on it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I've always been reluctant to pick and eat honey mushrooms. It's my understanding that they are not actually a single species, but a whole litany of closely (?) related mushrooms that:

-- grow clustered on tree roots around this time of year,

-- are tan to brown with a dark central umbo and close gills and a white spore print, and 

-- may...OR MAY NOT...have a partial veil.

Over several years I've encountered many mushrooms that fit that description and maybe I've done nothing but deprive myself of their enjoyment. But the fact remains that this is one that's been tough for me to hang my hat on, and in my experience even the best of mushrooms can give me all the symptoms of IBS if I eat too many of them.

Bottom line is if someone could suggest a more definitive way to tell the good from the bad regarding honey mushrooms I might become more brave.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now