Jump to content


Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Identification / Edible?

Recommended Posts

I found a bunch of these mushrooms under some pine/fir trees.  I think they are bolete or boletus variety, but can anyone help identify them for me?  Are these edible?  I washed the mushrooms in this photo so the underside is more brown looking than it really is -- it was yellow when dry.  Some of the stems have a red striation to them (King Bolete perhaps?), but most are white to yellow.  The flesh of the mushroom is white or yellowish-white.

From what I've read most boletes are edible, but some are poisonous and can make you sick (but not deadly) -- is this accurate?

Thanks everyone!




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, looks like Slippery Jack. 

"Edible" does not necessarily mean "good."

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are right.  I read up on Slippery Jack mushrooms.  They look just like those I found and the mushrooms were sticky while picking and very slimy after getting wet.  Thanks!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About Us

The mission of the Hoosier Mushroom Society is to promote the science of mycology and the study of fungi.