Corn Smut

Bruce

Just wondering if anyone else here has tried corn smut (huitlacoche). In Mexico, it is a delicacy.

My wife and I got a bunch of it perhaps 20 years ago and it is quite good as a meat substitute in tacos. I would love to lay my hands on more (we have a terrible raccoon problem and unfortunately growing corn of any kind in our back yard is a pipe dream). 

The inside is black and kinda nasty-looking, but the taste is excellent. If you decide to try it, be sure to pick and process before the galls become leathery and the spores inside turn powdery. The stage shown in the photo below is just about perfect.

1-corn-smut-2.jpg

Edited by Bruce
ADD A SENTENCE

Sort out any galls that whose skins have become papery. Remaining juicy, tender ones should be chopped and saute'd slowly in a little oil. It will turn black when cooked...don't let that put you off.

You can then use them in Mexican food like tacos or quesadillas (they retain some of the corn-y flavor) or blend them into a pate' to spread on crostini or what-have-you.

There are a few recipes on the Internet. I'm told it can be eaten raw but I've never tried it that way.

• Like 1