Welcome!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Sign in to follow this  
Myceliumbrella

Wood ear? Auricularia aricula?

Hey all, 

Found fruiting on the underside of a recently fallen willow tree. I'm a total amateur, but after running through a key and referencing some photos online, my guess is wood ear. Not confident enough to toss it in a soup, but I've gotta be close, right? Quite large, beautiful. What you guys think?

20160515_143627.jpg

These do look like Wood Ears. Typically wood ears are a bit more purple in color, but these may have not developed a lot of color if they were in complete darkness under a log.

For future reference, here is a photo of brown wood ear. These are particularly small examples; as they get bigger, they lighten in color and develop a "frosted" appearance on one side. Often you will find large and small fruits on the same piece of wood. These particular wood ears were found on May 1 and made a nice oriental soup.

Brown Wood Ear 01MAY2017.jpg