It's Like Finding Gold! Chaga (Inonotus Obliquus)

Today I found my first find of Chaga. But it wasn't just one fruiting body, it was seven different mushrooms on two different trees.  Both of them were River Birch trees,  which I didn't think would grow on. I know they aren't very common in Indiana (especially the further south you go), but I was joyful to be able to harvest these on river birch trees on the bank of a creek in sandy soil in a well shaded area.  The trees were alive,  but not looking very healthy.  

I just wanted to share my find! I'm always up for a mushroom hunt in northwest Indiana.  

20221231_113114.jpg

20221231_113117.jpg

20221231_113121.jpg

20221231_113125.jpg

• Like 1

Not really a mushroom (fruiting body), but a mass of mycelium. A decoction is supposed to be good for all kinds of ailments and I've seen this sold in health food stores at remarkable prices. Always wondered what it tastes like, though.

Bruce

• Thanks 1

I realized that (about it not being a mushroom) after I posted it. Thanks

I have just recently started to learn more about it and it appears to have some really tremendous medicinal value to it,  from balancing sugar/ insulin levels,  introducing Betulinic Acid to target cancer cells (if the chaga was growing on birch),  loaded with up to 85% max capacity of antioxidants the body can use,   high in melanin, great for fending off skin cancer & generating vitamin D; that's just the tip of a very beneficial iceberg,  with all the compounds it holds. There are some benefits that can only be gotten while the chaga is fresh and moist.

The taste is very subtle with hints of malt, coffee, trace vanilla. It goes very well with coffee or cocau, cream and maple syrup for a hot chocolate drink.  I've read that it removes the bitterness from coffee and enhances the robustness of coffee beans;  I'll be trying that soon enough lol

It tastes great by itself with nothing, but it is a really friendly ingredient to many things.  The tea will stay in the fridge for over a month.  Using it in bread will extend the bread life.  Just seems there are so many uses for this.  I'm loving it.  Can't wait to one day find Lion's mane and Reishi 

• Like 1