Some questions :)

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this website, I've tried to find a different section of the forums to post what I'm about to say and ask in the right portion of the forums but "Identification Discussion" seemed like the only portion of the forums I could access so if you would, please forgive me, I realize this post isn't regarding identification. Yet, now that I'm thinking about it, I can ask a question regarding a species of mushroom I found this morning which will make this post a little more viable. ?

I went for a walk in the woods the mornings and found some mushrooms on a tree. They were arranged similar to that of how I've seen oyster mushrooms. They were a whitish color, they had fully-fledged gills that appeared to be the flimsy type, not gill like ridges that I've seen on chanterelle pictures. These mushrooms also had full stems, not nudges like an oyster. Yet on top of their cap which was mostly flat but seemed to indent a little in the middle of the cap. Yet on the top of the cap, they had the same style of scales or a scaley appearance which I've seen on the pheasant back pictures that I've seen. I know that with me not taking a picture of them, that makes it hard and I understand that I've not given all of the information needed to identify them but does anyone have an idea of what kind or kinds of mushrooms fit the sound that I've given?

This morning, I hadn't planned on posting here and I hadn't taken my phone with me anyway. Yet after walking through a decent-sized woods, I figured I'd ask about if anyone in my area has ever found, Hen of the woods, Chickens and Lions Manes. Personally, before this spring, I've only hunted Morels and hadn't ever gone after anything else. I'd tried my first oyster this spring and enjoyed it quite a bit so I figured that I'd try to start looking for some of these others to try as well.

I hear that Chickens and Hens will fruit in the spring but I've never seen any before in the few woods that I'll go morel hunting. I know that the woods I'd went in today had oaks everywhere (healthy, downed oaks, stumps, etc) but I didn't see a single one of these mushrooms that Chickens and Hens are associated with. There's a lot of sugar maples in another woods that I'll hunt morels in but I've never seen anything that looks like a Lion's mane.

Is it possible that these mushrooms don't spawn in Daviess County, Indiana? Or maybe they haven't been established in the woods I hunt? Is there anyone from around that area who has hunted them before? The closest area to where I live that I've seen pictures of these mushrooms being found are in northern Greene county but I don't know anyone from there. The few woods that I hunt in are owned by family members of mine. 

I've never hunted in state parks or anything of that sort but figure that I'll probably start doing this more, at least during the fall if the woods I regularly hunt in don't produce these mushrooms that I've mentioned. I have seen pheasant back when I'd go morel hunting a few times but that was before I knew what they were and that they were edible. If I ever stumble upon them again, I'll be sure to pick them to try next time lol.

Anyways, thanks for your time, sorry for the confusion on figuring out where posts like this go. Take care, everyone! ?

On 10/12/2020 at 8:01 AM, Bruce said:

I can't speak to Daviess County, but here in Hendricks, we haven't had any rain to speak of for more than six weeks. No rain, no mushrooms. 

Bruce

Alrighty, thanks for the help, Bruce. ? Our rain situation down in Daviess County hasn't been so good either. We did get a little bit of rain since I'd posted this. I'm about to go back to the woods again and take a picture of the scaley mushroom I'd seen as well as see if I can't have any luck finding hens or chickens. ?I think the scaley mushroom might have been honey mushrooms but until I get a picture, I'll not know for certain. Anyway, I hope you and everyone else has a wonderful and safe day, take care! 

Hens come out in the fall. You will have better luck looking for them around oaks. Seems like the older the tree the better you chances. I find most of them around black and red oak.

Chicken can be found from late spring till everything freezes. I have found them on many different dead or dyeing hard woods. 

Like Bruce said, we need rain its just been to dry.