Chaga??

Ryanoceros

It's not Chaga. I saw this exact same formation on a wounded oak tree around here.  It's a growth.  My first thought was Chaga, But like you noted,  it wasn't on birch. After having found Chaga in Minnesota, it is not Chaga.  The look alike that I found on an oak appears to be some kind of sap build up on a diseased oak,  as when I cut it off,  there was quite a bit of liquid.  The inside doesn't have that golden color to it.  It's more rusty.  

Ok got a few more pictures but the lighting this time of year is awful. Also, will post on the Facebook thing just waiting for join request. 

There was also a small spot coming through on the other side of the tree. Found another one that looked similar though a lot smaller. Both trees had the same toadstool as shown in pic

20200201_150337.jpg

20200201_150422_HDR.jpg

20200201_150428.jpg

20200201_150750.jpg

20200201_150444.jpg

20200201_150457.jpg

20200201_154117.jpg

20200201_154239.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Hoosierfunguy said:

I'm headed to the woods tomorrow,  where I found that growth a few years ago.  I'm planning to go back and see if it's still there.  I'll take pictures of it before I harvest it.  If anyone wants a sample for study,  let me know. 

Just get a sample,  post the picks and send a sample to to Steve Russell. He may contact you or I'll PM his address to send it to. 

Cool.  Thanks Chris. I'm curious to know if the properties are the same (or similar) as Chaga found on Birch,  Aspen and Poplar,  being an immune system booster,  with antioxidants and effective at fighting cancer.  They were both found on white oak trees,  being the second and third fruiting bodies I've found on oaks, all within 100 yards of each other.  

• 2 years later...

Consider one more point: Chaga should not be collected in regions with high radioactive backgrounds. It is known that the degree of accumulation of radionuclides by fungi strongly depends on what and where they grow. Fungi growing on wood always accumulate radioactive elements to a much lesser extent than soil ones. The season of collecting chaga, no matter what you read about it, does not matter. Just proceed from when you have free time or when the Chaga is seen best. Usually, chaga mushroom is most convenient to extract in winter. At this moment, the forest is bare, and large black sclerotia are perfectly visible against the background of white birches and white snow.

• Thanks 1