Beefsteak/ elephant ear

My family grew up eating these. It wasn’t until the past year that I found out that they can be poisonous with MMH. My family still eats these along with many other guys I know. I have never heard of anyone getting sick. The only common denominator I can find is no one eats the stem. Does anyone have more knowledge on false morels?

8ABA8F6F-56BF-47C9-A701-C1257AEE21B2.jpeg

4180333D-B1DE-4401-A1D9-E82CE99A274E.jpeg

Some false morels of the genus Gyromitra and Verpa contain gyromitrin, which is hydrolyzed to monomethylhydrazine in the body. Monomethylhydrazine not only displays acute toxicity to the liver and kidneys, but is also carcinogenic.

It boils off at 87C, which is below the boiling point of water. So the folklore with false morels is that if you cook them thoroughly (with the lid off the pan), they are safe. I have no desire to perform such experiments on myself. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyromitra_esculenta

10 hours ago, Bruce said:

Some false morels of the genus Gyromitra and Verpa contain gyromitrin, which is hydrolyzed to monomethylhydrazine in the body. Monomethylhydrazine not only displays acute toxicity to the liver and kidneys, but is also carcinogenic.

It boils off at 87C, which is below the boiling point of water. So the folklore with false morels is that if you cook them thoroughly (with the lid off the pan), they are safe. I have no desire to perform such experiments on myself. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyromitra_esculenta

Thanks Bruce. That makes sense on the boiling off it is true. It’s a generational ignorance passed down at least from my great grandpa. It wasn’t until doing research on other mushrooms besides morels that I had heard they were toxic.