Jump to content


Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Can touching a toxic mushroom make a child sick?

Recommended Posts

Hello! My daughter is 7 and is obsessed with the idea that every mushroom might be a deadly angel. She touched a mushroom that was on a stick at her school and she is terrified that it was poisonous and that everything she touched afterward is contaminated with poison.

Her therapist and I have done some research but she isn't convinced. I thought I would turn to the experts and ask here. Do you have to actually EAT a poisonous mushroom to get sick? What if you touch it and then accidentally put your fingers in your mouth?

Thank you!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Her fear sounds like it's based from the unknown,  so I would educate.  I suggest signing her up for a mycology class or getting some educational books and have her learn from "the ground, up" about mushrooms and other fungus. She'll probably have fun learning to identify the "destroying angel" and so many other beneficial mushrooms.  

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About Us

The mission of the Hoosier Mushroom Society is to promote the science of mycology and the study of fungi.