Bruce

Members
  • Content count

    51
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    8

Bruce last won the day on July 29

Bruce had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

10 Good

About Bruce

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  1. The recent rains have really brought out the puffballs in central Indiana. Over the past two days I've collected Lycoperdon perlatum, Lycoperdon pyriforme and Calvatia cyathiformis, along with a smattering of Agaricus campestris . A couple of photos are attached.
  2. That looks like a Meadow Mushroom.... http://www.indianamushrooms.com/agaricus_campestris.html I've been finding these myself lately. Note the partial ring remnant around the stem and the detached, pink gills which *should* soon turn a dark, chocolate brown when it starts releasing spores. The stem should NOT bruise yellow, nor should the mushroom have a disagreeable (creosote-like) odor. They typically grow in arcs or "fairy rings" in grass, NOT in the woods or at the base of trees. If I've identified this correctly, they are closely related to the button mushrooms found in grocery stores and are themselves quite tasty, although a little stronger in flavor. Fall is also a good time to start looking for puffballs of all kinds. Finally, if you spray your lawn with herbicides, fertilizers or other chemicals you need to be finding someplace else to harvest mushrooms for consumption. Be careful out there!
  3. I think it could be a fawn mushroom, but am not entirely sure. Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to verify. Generally speaking you need to get some books and become familiar with mushrooms yourself. I can't speak for others, but I don't want to be even partially responsible for you getting sick (or worse). Rumor has it that those who run the mushroom society also have occasional forays that you can tag along on but I've never participated in these myself. Be careful out there!
  4. There are many mushrooms whose edibility has not been established. The pictured mushrooms bear no resemblance to oysters. If they are indeed honey mushrooms, you got lucky. There are plenty of poisonous mushrooms in Indiana, and some of them are deadly. Please educate yourself and be 100% sure of what you have before eating. No mushroom is so tasty that it's worth risking your life for.
  5. First off, I am jealous of your rain. It's been a long time since we've had any measurable precipitation. More often than not, chanterelle stems are riddled with insect tunnels -- if they have insecticidal properties, that's news to me. Golden Chanterelles do not grow on wood, they grow in soil. Smooth Chanterelles can sometimes cluster like that, but Golden Chanterelles rarely do. Finally, those gills look pretty thin and bladelike to me. Put that all together and I suspect you have Jack-O-Lanterns. There are three kinds of mycophagists: 1) Those with a healthy (irrational?) fear of all mushrooms that they didn't find in the neighborhood grocery store. 2) Those that study not only edibles, but also poisonous look-alikes and many other mushrooms they would not consider eating, because fungi are intrinsically interesting and cool to study (not to mention good photographic subjects). 3) Those who develop a passing familiarity with a few edible species and tend to disregard slightly different traits in the fervent hope that they still have something tasty in their possession. Guess which of the three is most likely to get poisoned? I can't ID the other two without photos of the undersides, but I will say that the third looks like a Russula of some kind. Hope this helps, and be careful out there.
  6. Being so young it's gonna be hard to ID. Is it growing out of wood or the ground?
  7. Jim et al -- To be fair, I should also state that I am *not* a dues-paying member. Dues are $15 a year. It is possible that if you pay dues you will receive more information...maybe even a newsletter. I've seen no clear indications of that, however. Having contributed nothing but forum posts towards this club, I have low expectations. I am grateful to whoever is running this site for providing the opportunity to discuss "mushroom things" with you and a few others. The way I see it, I'm already getting something for nothing.
  8. I'm not a group moderator or anything like that; but I have been around here for several months now. Although there are events on the calendar, they don't get announced; and with nothing resembling a trip report afterward it's hard to say if anyone ever shows up. The forums appear to be more active than the forays, and even that's not saying much. Exactly how many people might be here, I don't know; but I have a hunch that turning things around will require each of us to participate instead of waiting and expecting. Hope this helps!
  9. It's always nice to find edible mushrooms in your own back yard, even if it's just Polyporus squamosus. Saute'd in a little butter for about 10 minutes, this mushroom is an "okay" addition on the side with your breakfast eggs. If anyone has a great recipe for this mushroom I'm all ears.
  10. I should mention that similar mushrooms in the area displayed a partial veil remnant that was more obvious than the one in this photo.
  11. Here's a photo from very early October of last year, taken at Raccoon SRA. These mushrooms were plentiful in the grass under and around what appeared to be white pine trees. Caps were pretty slimy. Compares favorably to Suillus americanus but I would like a second opinion. Also, if anyone has eaten any Suillus and would like to share their experience on that I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
  12. It's hard to say. Removing the stem for your closeup did not help. Be advised that porcini are not all that common in Indiana. Sorry and good luck!
  13. I think you're right. Only one of my book references even mentions it, and that only in passing -- with a poor photo. Good match with the photos on this site. Thanks!
  14. Top view of the same fungus. The tawny color seen in this photo was not nearly as apparent to the eye.
  15. I need assistance with identification of this polypore that I discovered on today's foray. It was found growing at the base of a large oak tree. Pores are large, angular and decurrent. The cluster in this image is 16" across. A truly beautiful and impressive mushroom. It was a lovely, cool day for a hike...but not that great of a day for collecting edibles. Boletes and chanterelles were either completely dessicated or riddled with insects; oysters were also well past their prime. In stark contrast, the pepper milkcaps were lovely and plentiful. A good, soaking rain would help.