My Bloomington finds (ID request)

Polarbuda

These finds were on July 16,2017 on Hickory Ridge Trail in Bloomington, IN. These were all a little lower near creek beds and it had been raining consistently, and was very warm and humid on this day. Perfect fruiting conditions!

The first two orange/golden mushrooms I have thought to be golden chanterelles. On this 2nd pic, those black spots on the mushrooms are little black bugs, and some were in the gills. The mushroom appeared to be unharmed by them (chanterelles are thought to have insecticidal properties?) They were found at the base of a fallen tree, growing out of the decaying root system. It was pretty BA if you ask me. The other two were found off the path. The growth patterns that they were found in of all of these mushrooms are shown in the pictures.

btownshroom1.jpg

btownshroom2.jpg

btownshroom3.jpg

btownshroom4.jpg

First off, I am jealous of your rain. It's been a long time since we've had any measurable precipitation.

More often than not, chanterelle stems are riddled with insect tunnels -- if they have insecticidal properties, that's news to me. Golden Chanterelles do not grow on wood, they grow in soil. Smooth Chanterelles can sometimes cluster like that, but Golden Chanterelles rarely do. Finally, those gills look pretty thin and bladelike to me.

Put that all together and I suspect you have Jack-O-Lanterns. 

There are three kinds of mycophagists:

1) Those with a healthy (irrational?) fear of all mushrooms that they didn't find in the neighborhood grocery store.

2) Those that study not only edibles, but also poisonous look-alikes and many other mushrooms they would not consider eating, because fungi are intrinsically interesting and cool to study (not to mention good photographic subjects).

3) Those who develop a passing familiarity with a few edible species and tend to disregard slightly different traits in the fervent hope that they still have something tasty in their possession.

Guess which of the three is most likely to get poisoned?

I can't ID the other two without photos of the undersides, but I will say that the third looks like a Russula of some kind. Hope this helps, and be careful out there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...