Chantrelle season yet?

esox

Howdy all, just found the sight trying to find chantrelle info in Indiana. Never looked for them but heard their easy. I just can't find definitive info when they show up.

I live near Wabash/fort Wayne. No shortage of rain 

Thanks for any help!

On 7/14/2017 at 11:15 AM, esox said:

Howdy all, just found the sight trying to find chantrelle info in Indiana. Never looked for them but heard their easy. I just can't find definitive info when they show up.

I live near Wabash/fort Wayne. No shortage of rain 

Thanks for any help!

I'm in northwest Indiana, straight west of you and just found a small garnishment of em today.  ?

• Like 1

I've been finding plenty of chanterelles in Owen and Morgan County. Most of them have been Smooth Chanterelles (Cantharellus lateritius), which are just okay; but as of today's foray the cibarius are beginning to show up more.

If you've never collected them before, be careful of poisonous look-alikes, particularly Jack-o-lanterns.

I am not able to identify this specific mushroom, but I can assure you that they are NOT chanterelles or any form of polypore. Get some good identification books before you start foraging. I would recommend "The National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms," (Lincoff, and Knopf) and "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" (Fischer and Bessette).

Edited by Derek A. Talkington
More information needed.
  • Like 1

Not hen of the woods, not chanterelles, not even close. I agree with Derek, you need to get a book...or better yet, two or three. Familiarize yourself with edible and especially poisonous species. 

I never count on someone else to identify something for me. Conversely, I think I speak for many others when I say that I don't want to be even partially responsible for you getting sick. There are no shortcuts to mushroom ID and a single error can be deadly. Take ownership of your own well-being; and when in doubt, throw it out.

Finally, if you spray your back yard with pesticides, fertilizers or anything of that nature you should not be picking mushrooms for the table there.