Welcome!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Bruce

Black-Staining Polypore Recipes??

I found a Meripilus giganteus yesterday (see photo) but have never eaten one. If anyone has a good recipe please advise. I'm told they can be rather stringy but this one looks young and is [hopefully] relatively tender.

a.jpg

I have eaten them when young and they are good. I deep fried them in drakes batter mix after cutting it into roughly 1 inch squares. To check them to see if they are tender enough to use i cut them with a plasic butter knife, if it doesnt cut it easily then its to old. 

• Like 1

Mushroom dinner last night. As recommended, we batter-dipped and fried some of the Meripilus along with a Laetiporus that I collected on the same foray. As expected, several pieces were a little chewy...but the flavor was good. I would definitely eat it again.

a.jpg