Jump to content

Welcome!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Recommended Posts

We have several different types of mushrooms that are growing in our yard at work. I wanted to know 100% if this mushroom is edible. I think it is a parasol mushroom, I did a spore check and it didn't show up green. However, I'm still leary of it being edible. Thank you for any help you might provide. Thanks!

Resized_20200729_093453.jpeg

20200729_093511.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy, that sure looks like a green-spored lepiota to me. If the spore print was not green, what color was it?

Parasols are not common in Indiana. They also are difficult to identify for certain, and are not an entry-level mushroom. I doubt that this one is a true parasol, as it lacks the variegated stem. But it could be.

Get some reference books, and work from there. I highly recommend this one for starters. You should start with oysters and chanterelles and chicken-of-the-woods and stuff like that. Counting on others to identify mushrooms for you is risky. If YOU are not sure, don't eat it.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruce,

Thank you for your reply. I am not from Indiana, I live in Kentucky. I tried to find my local Mycological Association or similar and couldn't find any, figured Indiana was my best bet. 

At any rate, I attached a pic with the spore print. I'm not sure I did it right (first time). I put 2 pieces on white paper it's been sitting since 10;46am yesterday 7/29, as you can see the color of the "print" is like a tan-ish color. The sun isn't up fully yet so I can't see it in sunlight. 

I have little to no knowledge of mushrooms.

20200730_072014.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Bruce said.  Early in my mushroom identifying days, I falsely Identified a Green Spore Lepiota as a Parasol. I was sick for 2 days and wished it was a lethal one that would just get it over with because it was so extremely painful. 

 

It's also called "The Vomiter" 🤷‍♂

 

If you don't have a glass slide for the spores to drop on, a spore print is good to take on a split surface,  like half black paper,  half white paper to see the color. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About Us

The mission of the Hoosier Mushroom Society is to promote the science of mycology and the study of fungi.
×