Came across a good patch of these while we were looking for morels on the property. They were growing on some wood chips that have the scent of cedar. Mushrooms are large and lobed like califlower but I thought April was too early for these kinds of mushrooms. The root structure is veined and and the same color as the body, so mostly white. In my 25 years of hunting this is our first time sighting these on our property. These are white mushrooms with the tips starting to turn slightly off white and tan. Sighting April 12, 2020 around 5pm EST, during 50-60° temperature range.

20200412_201557.jpg

20200412_201549.jpg

20200412_201544.jpg

20200412_201542.jpg

20200412_201530.jpg

20200412_201533.jpg

Chris, our farm is in Prairieton Indiana. Is there a forum where it gives instructions on how to send samples? We left many behind because we were unsure if they were edible. We are still not 100% sold that this is a Sparaissa Crispa but I can find not other fungi that is similarly described. But I did pull up a small amount so we had enough to cross reference. I will be more than happy to send the 4 samples we pulled. Please let me know what Russel says. They definitely smell of cedar and fungi. Thank you for looking into this for us!

If steve Russell doesn't get back with you.  Hit me up and I'll get you information on where to send samples.  Pics and samples are best.  Also a better place to post these pictures for ID is Indiana mushrooms on Facebook.  It's a very active sister group of Hoosier mushroom society founded by Steve as well. Good admin's on there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...