Welcome!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

So I found what I'm pretty sure is chaga...only problem it was on a birch tree! See picures. Any help would be appreciated!

Displaying 20200131_190242.jpg

Displaying 20200131_145055.jpg

As a bonus I also found some late frozen oysters! still had a few good ones! (the glove was for my friend who said I was wasting my time)

Displaying IMG_20200131_125257_01.jpg

It does look like Chaga,  but I'm not good with pictures.  If you have the geo tag on and you found it in Indiana,  Steve Russell may be interested.  Only one confirmed in Indiana so far.  Or post it in Indiana mushrooms on Facebook.  That's a sister group to this one and is more active. 

It's not Chaga. I saw this exact same formation on a wounded oak tree around here.  It's a growth.  My first thought was Chaga, But like you noted,  it wasn't on birch. After having found Chaga in Minnesota, it is not Chaga.  The look alike that I found on an oak appears to be some kind of sap build up on a diseased oak,  as when I cut it off,  there was quite a bit of liquid.  The inside doesn't have that golden color to it.  It's more rusty.  

Its definitely a fungus of some kind, not a growth of wood. I'm going to go back today and try to grab some better pictures

Ok got a few more pictures but the lighting this time of year is awful. Also, will post on the Facebook thing just waiting for join request. 

There was also a small spot coming through on the other side of the tree. Found another one that looked similar though a lot smaller. Both trees had the same toadstool as shown in pic

20200201_150337.jpg

20200201_150422_HDR.jpg

20200201_150428.jpg

20200201_150750.jpg

20200201_150444.jpg

20200201_150457.jpg

20200201_154117.jpg

20200201_154239.jpg

Seriously? That must be a new discovery.  I'm looking forward to seeing something published on that.  Can you please update on this thread when that happens?

If this is indeed Chaga, then I'm sure it's the same growth I found on an oak tree.  If another specimen is needed from another source,  I'd be glad to not only harvest one,  but also show where it's at to anyone researching this

If this one does come back as Chaga it would only be the second one documented in Indiana, both I think were from northern Indiana.  So I think if  you have a possible Chaga species, I'm sure Steve Russell would like another,  especially if from a more southern location. 

I'm headed to the woods tomorrow,  where I found that growth a few years ago.  I'm planning to go back and see if it's still there.  I'll take pictures of it before I harvest it.  If anyone wants a sample for study,  let me know. 

10 hours ago, Hoosierfunguy said:

I'm headed to the woods tomorrow,  where I found that growth a few years ago.  I'm planning to go back and see if it's still there.  I'll take pictures of it before I harvest it.  If anyone wants a sample for study,  let me know. 

Just get a sample,  post the picks and send a sample to to Steve Russell. He may contact you or I'll PM his address to send it to. 

Cool.  Thanks Chris. I'm curious to know if the properties are the same (or similar) as Chaga found on Birch,  Aspen and Poplar,  being an immune system booster,  with antioxidants and effective at fighting cancer.  They were both found on white oak trees,  being the second and third fruiting bodies I've found on oaks, all within 100 yards of each other.  

My initial take on the latest round of images is that it would not be Chaga. I am still waiting on getting some results from the OP. I will update here once I have them.

Chaga has been reported on a variety of trees. It is just most common on birch, but can appear elsewhere.