Boletes for the taking

Jen

There is a large patch of boletes of some sort at the White Oak Cemetery in Bloomington (7th & Pine).  Since I can't identify them beyond "bolete", I won't be eating them, but I thought I'd pass the word along to someone with more experience than me (and good appetite!).

They're clearly visible from the top of the circle drive. The plot they're in is going to be dug up Tuesday morning for a burial, so get 'em while you can.

Jen

IMG_20190830_112503567.jpg

IMG_20190830_123445266.jpg

Yep, bugs sure do like the boletes. I went on a short hiking excursion yesterday and there were boletes all over the place. Mostly brick-cap, bitter and slippery jack, though. I didn't pick any as I already have mushrooms in my refrigerator that aren't getting eaten!

Nevermind! I found an article with a couple of basic guidelines for absolute beginners: unless you are an expert, do not eat boletes that bruise blue or that have red or bright yellow pores. Both of those things are true in this case, so I'm thinking these are mushrooms only for the experts.

For absolute beginners, I recommend "Edible Wild Mushrooms of Illinois and Surrounding States" by Mueller and McFarland.

Another reasonably good intro text is "100 Edible Mushrooms" by Michael Kuo.

I have four different mushroom guides and I consult with ALL of them before I even consider trying something for the first time.

Bruce