Examination under microscope

I recently got a microscope and am in the process of learning how to use it.  I ended up with OMAX 40X-2000X Lab LED Binocular Microscope from Amazon.  I hoping it will work well enough for me to learn on  To give you my background the last time I used a microscope was in High School biology class 1987. I believe I have the basics figured out   I have bought an eyepiece with reticle and calibrated it using a stage micrometer.  I’m still fuzzy on best use of light intensity, condenser location and diaphragm opening   For now I’m just playing with all 3 till I get what I think is the best image  So, with all that said I have a few questions.  

1.  For staining do I just need phloxine?   I’ve also read that Lactophenol Cotton Blue and Safranin are useful.  I was just curious what others use.  

2.  For mounting I guess I’ll be using distilled water or KOH.  Do I need anything else for mounting?

3.  For testing chemical reactions I have Amonia, KOH (on order), and FeSO4.

4. Is there any way to check for Amyloid, dextnroid or inamloid without melters reagent?

I have more I’m trying to figure out, but these are my main concern right now.  I appreciate any advice that anyone is willing to offer.   I’ve attached a pic of some spores taken using my phone 

16D1872C-EC92-4136-BCC6-3D26B78A0DA0.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...