100 Edible Mushrooms

dcloin

51XD7ZAvurL._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I have a few mushroom books and each one offers good information, but I think 100 Edible Mushrooms is the easiest to understand and most enjoyable to read. Even if you don’t care about eating mushrooms, the information is informative and clear. Michael Kuo has done a great job taking a complex subject and really presenting it in a way that is both entertaining and informative.   

I curently have:

100 Edible Mushrooms by Michael Kuo

Mushroms Demystified by David Arora

Mushroms of the Midwest by Michael Kuo and Andrew S. Methven

Mushroms of Illinois & Surrounding States by Joe McFarland and Gregory M. Mueller

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms

I’m interested to hear if anyone else has a favorite any why. 

I agree that Kuo's "100 Edible" book is the one that I crack open the most often.

I also own McFarland & Mueller and use that a lot. Although the number of species listed in the latter is limited, it covers most of the (edible) ones you are really likely to encounter (and eat).

Others to consider:

The Peterson Field Guide to Mushrooms (McKnight & McKnight)
Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America (Fischer & Bessette)

I just looked at a Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America last night after I stumbled across americanmushrooms.com. David Fischer’s website is pretty interesting.    I’ve spent quite a while navigating its pages. I was also wondering about Mushroms of Northeast North America by David Fischer. I’m sort of consumed with studying about mushrooms right now and have been quickly reading through all the books I currently have.  

Ive been looking at microscopes and bought one recently for my Son who is also interested in mushrooms but I haven’t got one yet for myself. Unfortunately my Son lives about 45 minutes away so I’ll have to get my own.  It seems like Mushrooms of the Midwest by Kuo & Methven will be most useful when identifying with a microscope. Lots of info on spore size, shape, and chemical reactions.