Welcome!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Results of this afternoon's foray

Results of this afternoon's edible mushroom foray. Clockwise from top-right: Crown corals, oysters, mixed chanterelles, cauliflower mushroom, and chicken "fingers."

I still can't post an image here for some reason. If you want to see a photo, go to https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10212274957095712&set=a.1654301044021.2078671.1431926578&type=3&theater You might have to "friend" me first.

I've never found a cauliflower mushroom before, and am eager to give it a taste. If anyone has a good recipe, please send my way.

Bruce

If you do find any,  i've heard that,  like most boletes,  they can be cleaned,  dried and rehydrated in soups.  I've not found any myself,  but if I do,  I'm going to try some fresh and try some rehydrated to see if there's a notable difference.  I know boletes are much more flavorful when rehydrated in soup 

On 8/2/2018 at 6:00 PM, Bruce said:

I've never found a cauliflower mushroom before, and am eager to give it a taste. If anyone has a good recipe, please send my way.

I cleaned, separated, and lightly browned half of my stash in a little oil last night so as to get an unadulterated taste. The overall impression was very similar to a hen of the woods (Grifola frondosa)...quite flavorful and just a little chewy. It would perform well in any recipe devised for a hen.

Cauliflower mushrooms are not very common and I was totally delighted to stumble across these two. You can bet that I will remember where I got it and will be coming back, hoping for more.

Bruce

• Like 1