Welcome!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Hoosierfunguy

This is what started my interest in mushrooms

About 15 years ago,   I moved into a wooded lot out in the country. Mushrooms that I had never seen before, began growing all over my lawn.  This one in particular was enticing,  because it looks so wholesome and good and has a sweet,  delicious aroma. I love eating mushrooms so I was really wanting to try some of these fungal delights,  but I knew that there were poisonous mushrooms in the wild, so I set out to learn how to identify them.  

I'm glad that I did,  because what looked and smelled like a very delicious mushroom is actually one of the most deadly mushrooms in North America Amanita bisporigera aka "Destroying Angel"

Always check for look alike mushrooms when contemplating consuming a newly discovered treat. 

20180724_071359.jpg

20180724_071434.jpg

• Thanks 1

Definitely a sobering story for any novice mushroom hunter. Amatoxins are deadly, and I never eat anything unless *I* know what it is.

Bruce

• Like 1