Chantrelles or young Jack o Lanterns

Definitely young chants. Jack-o-lanterns grow on tree roots.

I was out two days ago collecting and encountered a trail-runner who told me about these huge orange mushrooms that he saw growing on a tree stump. He thought they were the same thing I was collecting, but I suspected Leatiporus. 

I walked the same trail he told me about, wearing my backpack and expecting a big harvest; and was mildly disappointed to encounter a collection of truly huge jack-o-lanterns. They were very impressive and I took a bunch of photos, but took nothing home.

C'est la vie,

Bruce

Bruce I would like to see pictures of your jack o lanterns, if possible.  Thanks

I have no problem identifying a chanterelle but wonder if I've ever seen a jack o lantern.  I always look around beech, very high success rate, more than oak around here anyway.

Would it be either one of these pics? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I would send you photos, but for some reason I can't upload a photo here unless I start a new topic. I am also unable to "like" anyone's posts anymore. For awhile I was unable to post at all!

These problems began as soon as I joined the society. Odd that sending in $30 would cause me to LOSE privileges.

Bruce