Welcome!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
BossHogg

Can u help me identify this species

Found a few of these just outside my yard. They look past prime but i found some last year in the same spot.

20180722_143057.jpg

20180722_143048.jpg

They look like immature coral mushrooms. Look up Clavulina cristata and be sure of a positive ID if you plan to sample them

Its definitely  a coral mushroom, but im not gonna sample it. I will stick to hens, chickens , n chanterelles if i can find all 3 this year

• Like 1

It's always best to be safe.  "When in doubt throw it out" after taking notes,  if course...lol.

Some things to note

Gills color,  size,  style

Pores, shape,  density, color

Bruising coloration of the cap, stalk,  gills,  flesh...

Cap, shape, color,  texture,  various other, characteristics 

Spore print

Stalk,  

Mycelium

Habitat,  trees,  plants,  soil,  topography,  etc.

Once you've certainly and positively IDed some choice edibles,  you open up a whole new level of culinary possibilities.  

Just a personal lesson : If there's a poisonous look alike that has to be differentiated by looking at the spores under a microscope to determine their shape, size and count,  it's not worth the risk of being ill.   

Thankfully,  most choice edibles can be positively IDed with the naked eye.  

• Like 1

Im new, morel hunter only, can someone tell me what kind of what kind this is? I’ve looked in all of my books but still unsure

D869781F-2B87-4910-8600-98A8E8A47917.jpeg

DEA1708E-472A-498E-A192-E51F54F597EA.jpeg

4289FC21-93EA-45DF-AD17-556185C00786.jpeg

An old one 😄😄😄

It really is more difficult to identify some gilled mushrooms as they age, the color changes and a mushroom that would usually have a smooth,  slimy cap when fresh, could become dry and wrinkled 

A spore print is helpful, but it's easier to identify them when they're fresh.