More late-season mushrooms

Bruce

I was out hiking this afternoon, looking for mushrooms, not really expecting to find any. I encountered several that appeared to be Pepper Milkcaps, but generally passed them by. Eventually -- mostly out of boredom -- I picked one, turned it over, and broke the flesh. I was surprised to find there was no latex, and the (thick) flesh was cheeselike and brittle, more like a Russula. The smell was not distinctive.

I was in a hurry to get home and didn't take a photo or evaluate it further. Looking in my references later, they suggest this could be Russula brevipes. Rumor has it that it's edible, but that doesn't mean it's good. I'd appreciate thoughts on 1) whether this ID has any chance of being correct and 2) for future reference, whether this mushroom really has any culinary potential.

Another mushroom I encountered today was on my property, back near my observatory, where I've been getting puffballs for the past month. This one was small, gilled, terrestrial, not near any trees; likely a grass saprobe. On first glance I thought it could be a Meadow Mushroom, but the gills were white, not pink or brown, and if I recall correctly were attached to the stalk. Also, the base of the stalk was distinctly bulbous. There was a partial veil, but no volva, and the odor was not distinctive. In hindsight I should have crushed the base of the stem to see if it turned yellow.

Again, I have no photos...sorry. Any thoughts on what this might be would also be appreciated, with the understanding that I'm not giving you much to go on.

Thanks!

• Like 1